Sunday, May 27, 2012

I View Carrot Cake Ice Cream As A Kind Of Summer Reward


carrot cake ice cream
Carrot Cake Ice Cream Ingredients

2 cups heavy whipping cream

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 to 2 cups carrot cake crumbles, plus another cup for garnishing

1/4 cup golden raisins

Instructions

Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat your cream until stiff.

Fold in your sweetened condensed milk.

Add in remaining ingredients.

Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for 6 hours.

I’ve made healthier versions such as Elana’s carrot cake with almond flour several times before, subbing honey for the agave and coconut oil for the grapeseed with delicious results! It’s been awhile since I made a cake (which I need to put on my list “to make soon”) but when I was recently craving my beloved carrot cake, I went with a cooler treat during the summer heat. Plus, it’s egg-free, dairy-free, sugar free and still creamy and delicious!

I put my ice cream maker to work and made a creamy, frozen dessert that didn’t include cake itself but incorporated the flavors that I love so much. A carrot and cinnamon-spiced ice cream base of dairy-free coconut milk is sweetened with medjool dates (reminiscent of raisins) and speckled with chopped pecans for a bit of crunch. I topped the ice cream off with unsweetened shredded coconut and more chopped nuts but rum-soaked raisins and/or crushed or dried pineapple would also be yummy!

While the cream mixture is cooling, combine the brown sugar and butter in small pot over medium heat. When the sugar and butter are melted, stir in the carrots and raisins. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Fold this mixture into the cream mix with a rubber spatula.

When everything is sufficiently cold, give the mix a good stir to distribute all the bits evenly and add to an ice cream maker. Churn the mix according to the manufacturers directions.

Serve alone or with a bit of caramel sauce. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment