Monday, December 19, 2011

How To Cook Aunt Eliane’s Whole Potatoes Sautéed in Butter

A lot of Ecuadorian dishes have potatoes as a side dish, sometimes the potatoes are boiled, fried, mashed, in patties, you name it, one of my favorite potato sides is when the potatoes are roasted and cooked alongside a meat dish, however this can’t always be done, especially when you aren’t cooking a meat dish or the dish doesn’t allow the potatoes to be cooked with it. I like boiled potatoes, but I always feel like they’re missing something, even if they’re served with a sauce, so last summer we were visiting Nico’s aunt Eliane in Provence and she was making potatoes as a side for a wonderful meal she made (my mouth is watering), she boiled them first and then sautéed them with butter until they had a nice golden brown color, they were so good, so now whenever I have a dish that usually has plain boring boiled potatoes as a side I sauté the potatoes in butter until they are browned, leave it up to the French to turn something boring into something delicious. The way I see it this is a compromise, maybe not as healthy as plain boiled potatoes, but tasty enough without being completely fried (don’t get me started on homemade fried potatoes – I give into that weakness about every six months).
Ingredients:
10 Yukon gold potatoes, washed
Water for boiling potatoes
4 tbs butter
Salt to taste
Preparation:
Boil the potatoes until tender, let cool down and peel the potatoes
Heat the butter in a large sauté pan and add the potatoes, cook until well browned on all sides.
Sprinkle with salt and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment