Tuesday, December 27, 2011

How To Cook Toston Sandwich

I am so proud he was the winner in the Comfort Foods episode of Ultimate Recipe Showdown, a new Food Network cooking competition where regular cooks, just like you and me, compete to see who has the Ultimate recipe in a series of categories.
And why I could be proud of Iván specifically? He’s Boricua (another word for Puerto Rican, derived from Borinquen, the original indigenous name of Puerto Rico) and he won with his Boricua Plantain Sandwich. It’s not vegetarian, but it did remind me of a sandwich my friend Tania taught me how to make a few years back. I was so surprised to see use TOSTONES as the “bread” for the sandwich, something I had only seen Tania do.
Tostones (which are also called patacones in South America) are twice fried mashed green plantains. Tostones are a staple in Puerto Rican cooking and for people trying to “get away from the carbs” are a great bread substitution in this sandwich. But less carbs does not mean less fat – I did tell you these are TWICE FRIED, no?
Let me give you the play by play to making my vegetarian version of the Tostón Sandwich.
Toston Sandwich
1 green plantain, peeled
2 small strips of firm tofu – you can definitely used extra firm here, but never the silken kind
1/4 onion, sliced
Garlic Salt
1/4 cup Tamari Sauce
Ketchup
Canola Oil for frying
1. Take the tofu pieces and press them in between 2-3 good paper towels or napkins (I use Bounty) to drain away most of the liquid. I place then in between 2 small baking sheets and weigh using something heavy. I change the paper towel at least once. meanwhile…
2. Peel the green plantain. Remember that green plantains, just like green bananas, have a sap (mancha). Remember to oil the knife you’re using to peel the plantain so the sap does not adhere to the knife. Follow the method I showed you for the green bananas here.
3. In a medium skillet, heat about 1 cup of canola oil over medium high heat. Just make sure the skillet is wide enough that will fit your plantain. If your plantain is on the small side, by all means, use a smaller skillet. You need enough oil to cover the plantains halfway, more or less.
4. Cut the plantain in half lengthwise, making two long halves.
5. Make sure the oil is hot enough. Rachael Ray taught me to dip the end of a wooden spoon into the oil. If the oil bubbles around the spoon, the oil is ready. I love this tip.
6. Fry the plantain halves for about 5 minutes. What you’re looking for is to cook the plantain, add some color to it, but without getting it crispy.
7. Take the partially fried plantain halves out of the oil and using either two heavy plates or two small baking sheets, smash them flat. If using baking sheet, place a kitchen towel on top so the heat does not transfer to your hand. Keep the oil in the hot stove, you will use it again. Sorry I don’t have a picture of this, but I was by myself making this and I could not smash and photograph at the same time. This is the already-smashed plantain…
8. After smashing the plantains, re-immerse the smashed plantain halves in the hot oil to finish frying.
 I have also made this with fried white cheese instead of the tamari-marinated tofu. It tastes delicious!!! If you fry the tostones in hot enough oil and drain them, they will be crunchy, but not oily.
I had not done this sandwich in a long time… so I thank Iván and the Ultimate Recipe Showdown for reminding me. And even it’s not vegetarian, you can taste an adaptation of Iván’s sandwich at your local TGIFriday’s restaurant. They’re made with sweet ripe plantains, which is a different “ball game”, but still you can come out and support my fellow Boricua!

No comments:

Post a Comment