Friday, September 16, 2011

My Food Travel

This semester I’m studying abroad in London; although the food here is pretty similar to the food in the U.S., there are always new foods to discover. After a few weeks of being here, I was ready to try fish and chips! Fish and chips date back to the 1860′s in London, where fish was cheap and easily accessible. And today, it remains the same. You can’t walk 10 minutes without spotting a place with fish and chips on the menu, and usually the price for a large piece of fried fish is not too expensive. After going to see Stonehenge, my friends and I got a recommendation from our tour guide for an authentic fish and chips place.
We all ordered the cod and chips, and even ventured to put vinegar on the chips like any real Brit would. Unfortunately, we were let down because the restaurant was out of tartar sauce, so we couldn’t eat our meals as authentically as we would have liked to. Though not all of us enjoyed our dishes, we were glad we stepped out of our comfort zones to try a new food. I thought the fish was okay, but I think I’ve had enough of it for the rest of my time in London. I’m still willing to try new foods I come across here and as I travel to other countries.

This past weekend I traveled to Paris and had my first crepe! Ok, crepes are not really a unique food (we even have places on the Syracuse campus that make them) but I’d never had one before. Crepes are very thin pancakes, and their origin derived from France. I got my crepe with nutella, bananas and almonds. Nutella is one of the most common crepe fillings along with fruit and chocolate. It was very delicious, but also very rich. Fortunately, it wasn’t something I would order again. My next travel destination is Belgium. They’re famous for their waffles and chocolate, two things I’ve had before. I’m looking forward to trying these two treats in the Belgian style once there!

No comments:

Post a Comment